Friday, December 2, 2011

Polotmavy:Learn it - Love it

Posted by Matt:

 My first post - I have been slacking in the writing department but definately being ambitious in the tasting department. My first review is of our (Jenny and my) favorite mass produced beer style in the Czech Republic - the Polotmavy - Half Dark. Basically it is an amber lager. Now, I know what you are thinking - Yuengling is an amber lager. I am not sure why but the Czech amber lager is nothing like the PA amber lager (not that there is anything wrong with a Yuengling). The Czech Amber lager is  almost like an american ale, but maltier. One feature that I have noticed in the Polotmavy and draft Pilsners here is how smooth they are here. I don't have a clue how they do it but this but it is almost like they serve all of their beers on nitrogen (think Guiness on draft) but they aren't.




This particular Polotmavy is a 13 degree by Master. Master is the "Premium" brand developed by Pilsner Urquell and SABMiller to combat the growing influence and popularity of Czech microbrews. This beer is very drinkable with a carmel malt nose and a hoppy finish. It has a great hop smell, but their is a definate difference between czech (mellow) and american (in your face) hop styles and this beer is definately on the smooth/mellow side. The body is a little lacking compared to other Polotmavy's I have tried, both on draft and in bottles.

Conclusion: Good Beer, great style but if put up next to my favorite american amber - the Hopback by Troegs, I pick the Hopback. Now I know Jenny will scream foul because I am comparing one of my favorite breweries (Troegs) to a mass produced semi-random pick. So I will acknowledge that the Polotmavy by Basti (think the main blog posting with me and a mug and amber beer where jt got duck) is a beer I have dreams about and I have never had a Troegs dream. Don't worry - all you readers will try it when you get here, Basti is a must visit pivarna (microbrewery)


Next Up from me: Czech Christmas Beers .... mmmm

1 comment:

  1. Excellent description of the polotmavy. I do like Troegs better, but agree this is really really good. It's my favorite czech style so far. I like the business background too. Didn't know that. You are like a beer professor :)

    ReplyDelete