Saturday, December 10, 2011

Gameday for the "Battle of the Hops"



“Battle of the Hops” – December 10, 2011

This afternoon is the annual Army Navy game, the very best football game of the year! As is my long standing tradition, I will watch & celebrate it with a plentiful supply of good beer & junk food. But to change things up a little, this year I decided to participate in another contest while watching the one on the gridiron. I will match 3 high hop beers against one another & pick my ultimate winner. Though be forewarned, today’s winner is likely to be only that – the winner of a single contest, because just like the two teams on TV today, they’re each very, very good and deserve respect!

The hop contestants are listed below along with the maker’s description of each.

HOPDEVIL from Victory Beer
Menacingly delicious, with the powerful, aromatic punch of whole flower
American hops backed up by rich, German malts. HopDevil Ale® offers
a roller coaster ride of flavor, coasting to a smooth finish that satisfies
fully.
Composition:
Malts: Imported, German 2 row
Hops: American whole flowers
Alcohol by volume: 6.7%

HOP WALLOP Very Hoppy Ale also from Victory Beer
We celebrate the pioneering spirit of old Horace ‘Hop’ Wallop and those who dare mighty adventurous things in this vivid, robust ale. As our annual homage to the hop harvest, expect loads of aromatic splendor and bitter beauty.
Composition
Malts: Imported German malts
Hops: American whole flowers
Alcohol by volume: 8.5%

HOPBACK ALE from Troegs
Alcohol by Volume: 6%
Hop Bitterness
(IBU's): 55
Color (SRM): Amber
Availability: Year
Round
Malts: Pilsner, Munich
Hops: Cascade,
Williamette, Nugget
HopBack Hops: Whole
Leaf Nugget, Mt Hood
Yeast: Ale
Tröegs Brewery’s Flagship beer, HopBack Amber Ale derives its name from a vessel in the brewhouse called a hopback. As the ‘wort’ is being transferred from the brewhouse to fermentation it passes through the hopback vessel. Packed full of fresh whole flower hops, the wort slowly circulates through this vessel extracting the essence of the aromatic hops. This vessel adds more time and more hop character that creates a fresh, spicy taste and rich caramel note that defines this signature ale.
TASTING NOTES
Deep amber in color under a huge creamy head.
The aroma very apparent, bold and spicy with a slight floral character. Balanced with caramel malt, this well-rounded amber ale has an up-front floral spice that builds with a flush of sweetness.
FOOD COMPLIMENTS
Big, robust flavors like red meats and strong cheeses. The assertive flavors of our HopBack will hold up against strong cheeses like Stilton and Smoked Cheddar.


OK, so there are today’s 3 hop contestants. I’m sure you know enough about the football contestants already. And just like one can’t rely on everything one reads (Navy is predicted to win by 7 points today) – (by some!)), we’ll have to wait until the hop contest is over to see who today’s winner is. Stay tuned!
P.S. Be prepared to expect a slight delay in result reporting. Post game celebrations may interfere with timely posting :)

1 comment:

  1. They're ALL Winners!
    OK, perhaps Navy scored am few more points, but Army beat the point spread, so really, who actually won the game? Just wait until next year! So, for the other contest of the day – The “Hop Battle”, here are the results and analysis…..

    HOPBACK by Troegs
    Short head & no sign of carbonization. Mellow color. Bold hoppyness, but that’s what I was expecting from all these contestants. The beer was a little sweeter than anticipated (but I lean toward sweeter beers anyway), and not too much bitterness. I felt the beer was smooth, tasted good, but was still looking forward to the other contestants.

    HOPWOLLOP by Victory
    Lighter in color, but a bigger head in glass upon pour. Full hop flavor & smell, but a little too citrusy for me for a more winter oriented beer. Seemed a little raw on my pallet (maybe it was the 8.5% alcohol content?). With the heavy citrus (imo) overtones, it might make a better competitor for the Belgian whites or local Heavy Seas varieties (with their high alcohol content). Seemed to fill me up & tried to prevent me from eating any more of the junk food I’d laid out for the game. After recovery, I sampled …

    HOPDEVIL by Victory
    Big large head upon pouring, & a very hoppy smell & flavor on first sip. I can say that for the first time I recognized the “Piney Overtones” that many analysts’ have made reference to in evaluating beers. But despite what other more experienced critics have had to say about this brew, I wasn’t all that impressed. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good, really good, but not what I was looking for this late in the game.

    Only for the purpose of objective scientific research, I felt obligated to go through the sampling process again during the second half, just to verify my initial observations… (After all, if an experiment can’t be replicated, the conclusions drawn are suspicious! – right)?
    AND TODAY’S HOP CONTEST WINNER IS?..........

    HOPBACK by Troegs! It was the smoothest, and even had a good head after my 2nd pour where I poured it directly into the glass rather than down the side (like thought was the ‘old school’ way?). It just tasted better & went down smoother. I have a hunch this is Matt’s favorite domestic beer, but his preference had no influence on my analysis.

    I think my next competition may center on “Bock Beers,” as spring is just around the corner. Or at least something to look forward to? Perhaps we can coordinate it with “The Final Four” basketball play-offs? Let me know who’s got game for it!

    ReplyDelete