Friday, December 16, 2011

Burns going down

I've been curious about ginger beer for awhile, and saw this in the grocery store tonight. It's non-alcoholic, but has BEER in its name, so I think it still counts for this blog....

Despite its billing as Jamaican, it's made in Germany.

It's very light in color, almost white when poured - similar to fresca. It has light carbonation. Upon tasting, the ginger punches you in the face and burns the back of your throat. It pleads for the addition of something else....whiskey, vodka, rum, or even water. The ginger is over the top strong. It's also quite sweet, which maybe balances some of the spice. It would be a fantastic mixer. Taking a break from spirits tonight, I decided it could be salvaged with a lime.  I added juice from an entire lime, and then decided to add water as well. After all that, I can honestly say it's really delicious. I'd definitely make one again. Maybe next time with whiskey.

1 comment:

  1. The only known use of Ginger Beer that I know of is as a mixer in the rum drink called a "DARK & STORMY," which is very popular with sailors all over the world. To be done right, you must use Gosling's "Black Seal" Black Rum, and mix in a 3 to 2 proportion. Some people throw in a slice of lime, but most don't (unless you're at a more upscale or fruffy bar). I've got the remains of a six pack of Ginger Beer in my closet just waiting for another special occasion to break it out. I've tried it with cheaper rum than Black Seal, but it's just not the same. But, by all means ..."Don't try this at home" without adding the rum!! You could hurt yourself by drinking it straight!

    ReplyDelete