Friday, July 25, 2014

Cerveza, por favor

Enter the Mexican beer survey portion of this blog.

So far, the beer in Guadalajara has been predictable and decent. Pacifico is pretty good, and Victoria is tasty with a taco. It's a lot of 'beach beer' - mostly light, easy drinking, low alcohol. 

I was surprised this evening to find a mexican microbrew in the frig at the corner store. These beers are sold by the bottle rather than as a 6-pack, as are most of the refrigerated beers, so it's ideal for sampling. And, it's a black ale. Yum! Not sure what's going on in their label design. Anyway, on with the sampling. 



Looks pretty good in David's Payette glass. Nice color and head. Good smell. Reminds me of some other beer....maybe a boonville something or other? The smell might have made me too optimistic. I wanted some more fizz, but that's just my preference, and it was a little bit light/thin compared to what I was expecting. Still, I think I'd buy it again. It's a nice change-up if nothing else. 

Coming soon, another variety from the same brewer, Perro Negro. Apparently this brewer is a young student of another mexican craft brewer, who owns Sileno brewing. I'll keep my eyes out for Sileno beers as well. It's good to have goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment