Thursday, January 26, 2012

Not to be out-classed!



Let me set the stage … on a recent vacation trip down south ...its early evening & I’m in a
South Carolina grocery store looking to pick up a six pack for the next few
nights while traveling & settling in. We’re in a rush, as we’re both looking forward to getting to our place to stay for the night. The grocery store has the usual chain store brews, but this one jumps out (maybe due to its prominently displayed “ON SALE” bright yellow price tag)? It’s a store brand called “PIG SWIG!” Adjacent was a brand called “PIG SWILL!” I’m being rushed to pick one so we can
finally get to our destination. Don’t know why, but I opted for the ‘Swig” rather than the “Swill” (Maybe I feared the sure ridicule from Debby if selecting to drink ‘swill’ and thought I could easier slide by with a ‘swig’? Anyway, the price was right for either one ($4.99) Regardless, Debby was quick to question me at the checkout counter, and I was really glad I didn’t select the “Swill!” We got back to our motel & I unleashed a bottle of “Swig.” It was pretty damn good! I started reading the label & learned it was made by a micro brewery called Thomas Creek Brewery, out of Greenville SC. (Check it out at http://www.thomascreekbeer.com/index.html)
and was marketed by Piggy Wiggly under their own brand name. Normally it’s labeled as the in house “Dockside Pilsner,”

I would agree with the description. So, do you think buying a bronze medal winner
beer in a world beer competition in a grocery store for $4.99 a six pack is
such a bad move? So in retrospect, my
only regrettable error was not being able to get past the name & not trying
the other relabeled store brand (Swill) for $4.99. I won’t make the same
mistake the next time I’m in a Piggly Wiggly down south! What's above is what to look for if you ever find yourself in a Piggly Wiggly!

2 comments: